ASU is a comprehensive public research university, measured not by whom we exclude, but rather by whom we include and how they succeed; advancing research and discovery of public value; and assuming fundamental responsibility for the economic, social, cultural and overall health of the communities it serves.
ASU Mission & Goals
Demonstrate leadership in academic excellence and accessibility
- Maintain the fundamental principle of accessibility to all students qualified to study at a research university.
- Maintain university accessibility to match Arizona's socioeconomic diversity, with undifferentiated outcomes for success.
- Improve first-year persistence to greater than 90 percent.
- Enhance university graduation rate to 85 percent and more than 32,000 graduates .
- Enhance quality while reducing the cost of a degree.
- Enroll 125,000 online and distance-education degree seeking students.
- Enhance measured student development and individual student learning to national leadership levels.
- Engage all learners on all levels.
Establish national standing in academic quality and impact of colleges and schools in every field
- Attain national standing in academic quality for each college and school (top 5 percent).
- Attain national standing in the learning value added to our graduates in each college and school.
- Become the leading university academically (faculty, discovery, research, creativity) in at least one department or school within each college and school.
Establish ASU as a leading global center for interdisciplinary research, discovery and development by 2025
- Become the leading American center for discovery and scholarship in the integrated social sciences and comprehensive arts and sciences.
- Enhance research competitiveness to more than $1 billion in annual research expenditures.
- Transform regional economic competitiveness through research and discovery and value-added programs.
- Become a leading American center for innovation and entrepreneurship at all levels.
Enhance our local impact and social embeddedness
- Strengthen Arizona's interactive network of teaching, learning and discovery resources to reflect the scope of ASU's comprehensive knowledge enterprise.
- Co-develop solutions to the critical social, technical, cultural and environmental issues facing 21st century Arizona, ensuring sustainability and resilience.
- Meet the needs of 21st century learners by empowering 21st-century learners through the university learner initiative by increasing individual success through personalized learning pathways and promoting adaptability to all accelerated social-technical changes.